Itis a painful condition that affects the small, fluid-filled sacs — called bursae (bur-SEE) — that cushion the bones, tendons and muscles near your joints.Bursitis occurs when bursae become inflamed. The most common locations for bursitis are in the shoulder, elbow and hip.
The most common causes of bursitis are repetitive motions or positions that put pressure on the bursae around a joint. Examples include
- Throwing a baseball or lifting something over your head repeatedly
- Leaning on your elbows for long periods
- Extensive kneeling for tasks such as laying carpet or scrubbing floors
Other causes include injury or trauma to the affected area, inflammatory arthritis such as rheumatoid arthritis, gout and infection.
- Acupuncture treatment is targeted at reducing excessive tightness and spasm of the muscles This can help decrease excessive stress on the tendons attached to the bone. Applying ice is often recommended for bursitis. Icing constricts local blood vessels and temporarily decreases the blood flow, thus can be useful for controlling acute local inflammation. We also use a traditional heat therapy called moxibustion. In many cases, muscles around the inflamed hip joint and tendons are actually in an ischemic state (poor flow of blood and oxygen). Application of localized heat on specific acupuncture points is used to enhance blood flow and reduce the muscle tension. Therefore, with careful selection of acupuncture points, moxibustion heat therapy can be effectively used for bursitis during both acute and chronic stages.
- Prolozone(mixture of ozone +vitamins) introduces natural substances into damaged and inflamed tissues to promote non-surgical reconstruction of tendons and ligaments. It works primarily through the stimulation of growth factors that fuel the healing process. The addition of highly reactive ozone, produced in-office by a medical ozone generator, can increase the rate of healing through further stimulation of fibroblasts within the joint.
- Prolozone, as opposed to other injection techniques, is especially effective for reducing pain. In addition to stimulating tissue regeneration, which can tighten loosened connective tissue and speed up healing in torn ligaments and tendons, ozone helps to keep inflammation under control. Chronic inflammation disrupts blood flow and bars the body from healing–by reducing stagnant inflammation, Prolozone allows for improved circulation, better range of motion and lasting pain reduction.